Equipment Operator / Jockey Driver – Miami Job ID 9354
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations
Publish Date: May 2, 2021
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Moves loaded and empty trailers between the depot and terminal area using a jockey truck and the fork-lift with 5,000 to 62,000 pound capacity. Additionally responsible for twinning 20 foot containers onto twin chassis. Maintains equipment and supplies, sets up dock, maintains part-load inventory, makes container assignments and updates load board. Assists on dock and other areas as needed. Organizes and coordinates yard and equipment.
To apply for this job please visit www.tropical.com.
- Operates jockey truck and fork-lift to supports container movement for warehouse and Dispatch, both 20' and 40', for loading and to eliminate overdues.
- Loads special equipment such as p-trailers, trays, flat-beds, autos, boats, etc. including banding, chaining, and Visqueen where required. Prepares checkers tallies and manifests. Performs receiving and handling activities for specialized freight.
- Decks out empty and inbound containers and reefers for loading, unloading or delivery to customer or transfer to WPB port facility.
- Responsible for twinning 20-foot containers onto twin chassis on morning of sail whenever possible.
- Operates maintenance equipment i.e. dump truck and yard sweeper to unload trash containers and sweep the yard.
- Provides equipment monitoring support for the Equipment Control office by calling in container moves by radio. Cooperates with other equipment control members by delivering chassis/container equipment to various departments as needed.
- Monitors for incorrect equipment placement, usage and incompatible equipment set-ups.
- Monitors equipment control requirement staging areas to see that these areas are free of trash and other foreign items that might pose a safety hazard. Follows all Hazmat procedures.
- Assist with preventative maintenance checks on equipment, including containers and chassis for damage and leaks.
- Assist with basic yard security.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
|EDUCATION:||High School Diploma or equivalent|
|EXPERIENCE:||Six months trucking, stevedoring, or shipping operations experience|
|LICENSE:||Valid Local Driver's License and CDL Class A with hazmat and tanker endorsements|
|PHYSICAL:||Operations - Manual dexterity to perform repetitive motion tasks on computer or handheld. Ability to frequently twist, bend, reach, squat, kneel, climb on equipment, push/pull 50 pounds, crawl, lift and carry at least 80 pounds daily. Able to withstand constant exposure to extreme weather conditions.|