Director of Safety
Company: TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Safety
Publish Date: January 9, 2019
Company Description: From humble beginnings in 1985 as a two tug-and-barge operation, to introducing the world’s first LNG-powered containerships, TOTE Maritime’s commitment to the people of Puerto Rico has never wavered. Offering twice-weekly scheduled sailings from the Port of Jacksonville to San Juan Puerto Rico, plus service to St. Thomas. Our employees embody commitment, dedication and teamwork. Whether you are looking for a shipboard position or career that keeps your feet on the ground in Puerto Rico, Florida or our U.S. Virgin Island terminals - TOTE Maritime offers a competitive compensation package and an environment that supports your career development, recognizes your achievements and has a keen respect for work-life balance.
TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
The Safety Director is responsible for the implementation and improvement of Safety objectives at TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico. Responsibilities include overall administration and implementation of the group’s objectives in conjunction with company goals and objectives to include teaming with supporting units to successfully achieve those objectives.
To apply for this job please visit employer.careerbuilder.com.
- Lead the organization in implementation of new safety strategies designed to eliminate injury.
- Monitor, evaluate and ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods (both internally and externally) and procedures of stevedore vendor in relation to safety.
- Management responsibility for certifying stevedore contractor subscribes to TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico and TOTE, Inc. safety initiatives designed to eliminate injuries.
- Management responsibility for the services and activities of Record Retention.
- Promote a safety culture within the organization by training employees on safety topics, planning reward and recognition of safety achievements and publicizing safety goals, targets and initiatives.
- Communicate compliance resolution on matters relating to safety.
- Ensure all personnel involved with Safety are adequately trained to fulfill their assigned responsibility and make arrangements for training as needed.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals,objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned functional areas.
- Develop, administrate and control of TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico’s annual Plan for financial commitments and ensure that expenditures and funds are managed appropriately.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporate new developments as appropriate.
- Coordinate with Saltchuk and TOTE, Inc. on organization-wide Safety Program.
- Directly supervise both supervisory and non-supervisory employees. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving issues.
Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree preferred
OSHA certificate or safety certification
Ten years of increasingly responsible, related experience including four years of management, administrative, and supervisory responsibility.