Director of Operations
Company: Delta Western
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Management
Publish Date: October 1, 2021
Company Description: Delta Western is the largest independent distributor of fuel and lubricants in Alaska. With the best customer service in the business, our company has become a household name in over 250 Alaskan communities. DWP travels waterways throughout Alaska to service some of the most remote communities in the state. The company safely navigates unique and challenging river and weather conditions. It is a lifeline to these locations, delivering a whole year’s supply of heating fuel, power generation fuel, unleaded gasoline, and lubricants. Lubricants are also distributed throughout the state from our distribution facilities, freight barge, and trucks on the Railbelt highway system. The company’s core belief is that safety is our first priority. Our Safety Management System includes continuous improvement, employee involvement at all levels, and aligning employee goals with company goals. DWP gives back to the communities it serves by supporting many charitable organizations, including donating $150,000 in scholarships for local high school students. Additionally, each of our remote sites supports charitable organizations through mentoring, volunteerism, and fundraising, making a personal difference in the communities they serve.
Do you have a passion for the leadership and management of operational sites, with a focus on process improvement, system development, and operational efficiencies?
In addition to providing high-level expertise, the Director will lead the implementation of strategic initiatives and partner with leadership and local sites on new policies, procedures, and improvements.
Who You Are
The Delta Western Director of Operations is an accomplished leader with deep operational expertise, experience with establishing metrics and holding teams accountable to achieve goals, strong business acumen, and a track record of successfully collaborating with corporate teams. They possess outstanding communication skills with colleagues at all levels of the organization, knowing how to strike a balance of advocating for their team with being a champion of corporate initiatives. They have an authentic appreciation and respect for the uniqueness of the Alaska market and the communities we serve, and they always operate with ethics and integrity and are a model of Delta Western values.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
What you’ll do
- Identify operational efficiencies and implement changes as necessary
- Implement and champion corporate initiatives at the site level.
- Support essential business activities including business continuity measures and compliance with all local, state, and federal requirements.
- Working with Site Managers, manage Site Operations budgets including capital expenditures and performing activities to achieve financial targets.
- Identify new business development opportunities.
- Establish, oversee, and maintain site-level key performance indicators and metrics.
- Own and manage P&L for multiple Delta Western sites.
- Lead Site Managers in crafting and implementing staffing plans and developing team members.
- Manage, coach, and mentor Site Managers.
- Communicate company strategy and ensure alignment of team activities to company goals.
- Hire, train, and onboard new Site Managers and other team members as appropriate.
- Review and approve or challenge all hiring requests to achieve company and site goals.
- Build business cases to request needed capital expenses.
- Support Sales and Marketing with high-level customer interactions when needed.
- Represent Delta Western in the industry at events and form positive relationships with key contacts.
- Interact with and support sister companies' ideas and objectives where appropriate.
- Serve as Qualified Individual, responding and reacting to spills as needed.
- Travel to locations as needed (normally approximately 50% of the time).
- Partner with NorthStar Shared Services team on initiatives and implement within Delta Western, including Safety, Legal, HR, Compliance, Finance, Accounting, and Marketing.
- All other duties as assigned
What you’ll need
Education: BA in Business or related field, and 10+ years business experience in Operations managing multiple site locations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
At least 8 years leading multi-disciplinary teams and directly managing people. Experience managing employees, contractors, and third-party service providers is a must.
What we prefer
- Related experience in various regulated environments.
- Deep understanding of OSHA, EPA, DOT, ADEC, SPCC, etc), and other regulatory requirements.
- Specific experience with rolling stock/fleet management.
- A demonstrated track record of solid project management/planning skills.
- Experience in relevant EHS functional areas, such as physical safety, environmental protection, occupational health, sustainability, and compliance assurance.
- Strong business acumen and understanding of financial statements.
- Industry experience a plus.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation plans
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- 401k matching program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Generous Charity Donation Match
About Delta Western
As part of the NorthStar Energy family of companies, Delta Western is dedicated to the fundamental principles of equity and inclusion, and we believe that diversity in all forms strengthens organizations. We are made up of a remarkable group of individuals - ones who work hard and make sacrifices in order to serve others in a volatile and uncertain environment while being guided by our core values. Our people are committed to supporting our customers; have the courage to develop protocols and systems that keep everyone safe and healthy; exercise personal agency to take action when things don’t seem right and work cohesively as one unit to ensure we finish what we start.
We encourage everyone at Delta Western to have a sense of belonging and the opportunity to feel heard without judgment or harm. Crafting an environment that allows this to happen is a responsibility we all share. We will not be perfect in our efforts, but we will continue to take steps big and small and act with appreciation, modesty, and respect as we work together more deeply connect.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to crafting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform crucial job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field plus 8 years’ experience in leadership roles, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to provide lead and manage geographically disparate teams
- Experience with fuel pricing and supply preferred
- Proficiency with MS Suite including Excel, Word, Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Lead with ethics and integrity at all times.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands or arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Computer Skills: An individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel and Word.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of the Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, high, precarious places; fumes, dirt, dust, or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environmental is generally moderate.