Director of Operations
Company: Delta Western
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Management, Operations
Publish Date: January 29, 2021
Company Description: Delta Western is the largest independent distributor of fuel and lubricants in Alaska. With the best customer service in the business, our company has become a household name in over 250 Alaskan communities. DWP travels waterways throughout Alaska to service some of the most remote communities in the state. The company safely navigates unique and challenging river and weather conditions. It is a lifeline to these locations, delivering a whole year’s supply of heating fuel, power generation fuel, unleaded gasoline, and lubricants. Lubricants are also distributed throughout the state from our distribution facilities, freight barge, and trucks on the Railbelt highway system. The company’s core belief is that safety is our first priority. Our Safety Management System includes continuous improvement, employee involvement at all levels, and aligning employee goals with company goals. DWP gives back to the communities it serves by supporting many charitable organizations, including donating $150,000 in scholarships for local high school students. Additionally, each of our remote sites supports charitable organizations through mentoring, volunteerism, and fundraising, making a personal difference in the communities they serve.
This position manages all Delta Western sites and terminals, ensuring performance meets or exceeds established NorthStar targets and guidelines. The role can be based in either Seattle or Alaska.
To apply for this job please visit client.hrservicesinc.com.
- Manage all sites and terminals and company fleet operations.
- Establish, track, and maintain site-level KPIs and metrics.
- Own and manage P&L for multiple Delta Western sites.
- Lead Site Managers in creating and implementing staffing plans and managing team members.
- Manage, coach, and mentor Site Managers and Fleet Manager.
- Communicate company strategy to direct reports and ensure alignment of team activities to company goals.
- Hire, train, and onboard new Site Managers and other team members as appropriate.
- Develop team members to create high-performing team.
- Manage budget and achieve established target financial goals.
- Create business cases to request needed capital expense.
- Review and approve or challenge all hiring requests in order to achieve company goals.
- Partner with NorthStar Shared Services team on initiatives and implement within Delta Western, including Safety, Legal, HR, Compliance, Accounting, and Marketing.
- Champion and model NorthStar values at all times.
- Support Sales and Marketing with high-level customer interactions when needed.
- Review and authorize contracts, escalating when appropriate.
- Represent Delta Western in the industry at events and form strong relationships with key contacts.
- Interact with and support sister companies on initiatives and ideas.
- Serve as Qualified Individual, responding and reacting to spills as needed.
- Travel to locations as needed (normally approximately 50% of the time).
- All other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field plus 8 years’ experience in leadership roles, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to provide lead and manage geographically disparate teams
- Experience with fuel pricing and supply preferred
- Proficiency with MS Suite including Excel, Word, Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Lead with ethics and integrity at all times.