Director of Operations
Company: TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations
Publish Date: December 21, 2018
Company Description: From humble beginnings in 1985 as a two tug-and-barge operation, to introducing the world’s first LNG-powered containerships, TOTE Maritime’s commitment to the people of Puerto Rico has never wavered. Offering twice-weekly scheduled sailings from the Port of Jacksonville to San Juan Puerto Rico, plus service to St. Thomas. Our employees embody commitment, dedication and teamwork. Whether you are looking for a shipboard position or career that keeps your feet on the ground in Puerto Rico, Florida or our U.S. Virgin Island terminals - TOTE Maritime offers a competitive compensation package and an environment that supports your career development, recognizes your achievements and has a keen respect for work-life balance.
TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico
The Director of Operations will be responsible for daily management of all import/export operations activities and operational risk functions focusing on deliveries to customers, truckers, vendors, as well as insuring high levels of service to all clients.
To apply for this job please visit www.careerbuilder.com.
- Build a high-performing operations team through assessing the team’s capabilities, proactively resolving gaps, actively coach leaders to prepare them for greater responsibility, delegate duties to foster a sense of empowerment and ownership
- Manage capital requirements and budgets for operations, while controlling costs through leadership and business process improvements
- Direct day-to-day operations through staff - TMPR Line terminal, logistics, gate operations, yard operations, vehicle operations; all within company standards of excellence
- Ensure adherence to programs, policies, and/or procedures to reduce or eliminate organizational risk, dealing with safety and accident prevention, physical security of the ports, hazardous materials handling, contraband prevention and stowaway prevention, business continuity, claims management, employee health and wellness, and risk management education
- Provide leadership in managing terminal; build relationships with customers, vendors and partners
- Manage, assess, and report on Risk and Compliance at the terminal. Maintain above-industry standards while meeting guidelines from leadership
- Manage, identify, and verify equipment safety, inventory and repairs within budget, with exemplary recordable Safety and Lost Time records while meeting the needs of the company and its vendors. This includes risks and exposures which can result in significant personal injury, environmental damage, property damage, vessel arrests, or adverse publicity
- Remain knowledgeable and compliant with all government Standards and Certifications
- Manage adherence to the Integrated Management System that covers Quality, Environmental, and Safety ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certifications related to operations
- Ensure all associated contracts and records are maintained and bid appropriately
- Manage and negotiate stevedore contracted services contacts, terminal contracts, tug and pilot contracts, and other areas as identified
- Maintain and actively manage relationships with service providers.
- Champion Continuous Improvement movements, philosophy, and initiatives in the operations and throughout the organization
- Support and foster Terminal Operating Systems and Operational efficiency improvements
- Ensure all vessel trim and stability training is delivered bi-annually, ensure all required training records are maintained and archived
- Report productivity and budgeting performances to VP of Operations
- Travel periodically to Puerto Rico with oversight of vessel and terminal activities
- Maintain safety and exemplify high ethical standards to customers, employees and vendors
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or 5 years’ experience in this level of Operations in the Maritime Field preferred
U.S. Coast Guard license (unlimited tonnage) or equivalent military experience preferred