Director of Human Resources
Company: Northern Aviation Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: October 7, 2019
Company Description: Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Northern Aviation Services (NAS) is comprised of operating companies: Aloha Air Cargo, Aloha Tech Ops, Northern Air Cargo, Northern Air Maintenance Services and StratAir. NAS companies provide air cargo and logistic services throughout the United States and beyond. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our workplaces operate at a high level of safety, providing reliable best-in-class customer service while maintaining a strong commitment to the communities we serve.
Northern Aviation Services
As a key member of the HR leadership team, the NAS HR Director supports the VPHR in delivering best in class people strategies and processes across all locations. The Director is a talented and motivated HR professional, with 5+ years of experience in the aerospace/aviation industry, and recent hands-on experience in all technical aspects of HR. The HR Director will partner with local NAS HR staff to help drive operational efficiencies and ensure HR compliance in a constructive and energetic style. The HR Director will be located in Seattle and will travel as needed to Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida for various HR projects.
Northern Aviation Services is a wholly owned subsidiary within the Saltchuk family of companies, providing a range of aviation related support services primarily in North America with revenues of over $220 million. Through our operating brands, Northern Air Cargo, Aloha Air Cargo, and StratAir we collectively transport over 250 million pounds of freight annually via our scheduled cargo service in Alaska and Hawaii and on-demand charters throughout North and South America. Other services include third party aircraft maintenance, management services and consulting expertise, aviation support services for large-scale industrial projects, and scheduled freighter service throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. Our over 1,000 employees are committed to providing safe and reliable service for our valued customers which include most major freight companies and air cargo integrators in the markets we serve.
• Has primary responsibility for HR Compliance in the areas of wage and hour laws, FAA drug, alcohol and training programs, Affirmative Action plans in compliance with OFCCP requirements, FMLA, ADA and other leave of absence or compliance related HR policies.
• Conducts an annual audit of HR policies and practices and works with the VPHR to prioritize improvement projects. Partners with local HR staff to implement corrective measures, and conduct training for HR and managers as needed to ensure compliance.
• Actively partners with local HR Staff to develop effective strategies for positive labor relations partnerships. Assists with union developing strategy, conducting negotiations and interpretation of collective bargaining agreements including participation in grievance proceedings as needed.
• Conducts employee relations or ethics investigations as directed by the VPHR and supports local HR staff in their investigation work (planning, interviewing, and writing executive summaries.) Ensures all complaints are given consideration through a fair and neutral process across NAS locations.
• Supports HR staff in developing hiring strategies and implementation plans to identify great talent within and outside the corporation to meet business needs.
• Conducts turnover analysis, using data to highlight trends and causes of turnover, and makes recommendations to improve employee retention.
• Responsible for annual compensation analysis for review with the VPHR to ensure NAS offers competitive pay programs and career paths for all employees.
• Consolidates benefits renewal data, for all NAS locations, in partnership with the Saltchuk Benefits Broker, and makes recommendations to the VPHR and Business leaders on ways to improve benefit programs and/or increase employee understanding and appreciation of benefits.
• In collaboration with the VPHR, ensures that HR key metrics are in place to regularly measure and support the company’s attainment of operational, financial and people related objectives.
• Assist VPHR in developing human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop programs for filling the gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, training and development programs for preparing employees for more significant responsibilities, leadership development, and general business development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business.
• Champions a safety-oriented, accountable environment throughout the organization.
• 5+ years HR leadership experience in an aerospace/aviation environment with recent hands-on HR technical skills.
• Broad and deep experience in all functional areas of HR, including labor and employee relations, performance management, talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, leader development, regulatory and wage and hour compliance, employee communications and management coaching.
• Knowledge of Collective Bargaining Agreements, works to resolve union and management issues and coordinates grievance meetings and company answers in conjunction with Labor counsel.
• Strong skills in HR systems, HR process implementation, and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Outstanding business acumen, including planning, analysis, critical thinking and decision making.
• Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with people at all levels, demonstrating integrity and credibility.
• Experience in dynamic, growing organizations with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and delivering results through people and systems.
• Experience working in a union environment.
• Experience working in highly regulated operational environment (FAA, TSA, DOT etc.)
• Preference for using data driven HR business analytics and insights to provide HR recommendations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a strong ability to communicate well with all levels and personalities as well as deliver presentations to large and small groups.
• Highly collaborative and effective at building partnerships.
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed, including travel to Alaska, Florida, and Hawaii, particularly during the first 6 to 9 months.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or related field; SPHR, MBA or related preferred.
• Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screening and background check.
Positions at this level have a high level of contact with management and staff throughout the organization.
Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
Most work requires normal physical effort.
Requires use of personal computer (word processing and spreadsheets) for compiling reports, statistical data, composing memoranda and other similar documents.
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
NAS is part of Saltchuk which is a family of diversified transportation and distribution companies with a vision to serve our customers by being the best in North America. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our organization -- in a work environment where anyone would be proud for their children to work. To learn more about either NAS or Saltchuk, please visit www.northernaviationservices.aero or www.saltchuk.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer