Company: Saltchuk Marine Shared Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Finance
Publish Date: May 26, 2021
Company Description: Saltchuk Marine Shared Services’ dynamic service-driven team provides a suite of support services including Accounting, Finance, Information Technology (IT), Human Resources (HR), HSQE, Legal/Risk, Fleet Monitoring and Business Development to Saltchuk Marine operating companies: Foss Maritime, AmNav, Cook Inlet Tug & Barge, and Young Brothers. Our team enables our sister companies to focus on the important work of keeping ships and cargo moving safely. SMSS is headquartered in Downtown Seattle’s Pioneer Square neighborhood with easy transit access and a beautiful view of Puget Sound.
Saltchuk Marine Shared Services
Working within the Saltchuk Marine Finance function, this position provides financial leadership for the Foss Maritime (Foss) operating company. The position will monitor the health of the organization and support the business in driving for financial improvement through financial planning, analysis, and decision support. This position is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of the Foss general ledger, review of accounting records, timely reporting of financial results, and development of regular projections and the annual plan for Foss.
This position will report directly to the Saltchuk Marine CFO, within Saltchuk Marine Shared Services, and have a strong dotted line to the Foss President.
- Be a member of Foss’ leadership team and provide the President and other team members with finance leadership, guidance, and support.
- Directs, motivates, and develops Financial Analyst team to support Operations efficiently and effectively.
- Complete timely the monthly financial closing for Foss Maritime that includes coordinating with the Saltchuk Marine Shared Service (SMSS) Finance function to ensure timely and accurate financial data, accurate accruals, ensure corrections from previous month are accounted for, and management’s estimates are reasonable.
- Create and deliver regular and ad hoc financial reports to, and participate in, OpCo Leadership and Saltchuk Marine Leadership meetings.
- Develop and maintain Foss and SMSS requested KPIs and variance analysis to monitor effectiveness of operational decisions.
- Develop regular forecasts, annual plan, and 5-year plan for Foss in partnership with the SMSS Controller and Manager, FP&A. Coordinate meetings with OpCo department heads ensuring accurate forecasts. Provide variance analysis to Foss leadership, Saltchuk Marine, and Saltchuk Resources as needed.
- Assist in development of the annual long-term capital plan and sales strategy in conjunction with Foss leadership and SMSS resources.
- Support financing, joint venture, acquisition, and divestiture activity.
- Support SMSS Finance function on audits, accounting changes, and implementation of GAAP guidance.
- Ensure dissemination and adherence to Saltchuk Marine financial policies and procedures, providing leadership throughout Foss and Saltchuk Marine on financial policies.
- Apply Continuous Improvement mindset to develop new processes and reports for both OpCos and Saltchuk Marine.
- Support Saltchuk Marine-wide initiatives and back-up other finance professionals as needed.
- Communicate with both internal and external customers ranging from the newly hired deckhand to the CEO of Saltchuk Resources.
Supervisory and Leadership of Direct Staff
- Be a leader for “SpeakUp”, including encouraging peers and staff to exhibit a safe and ethical culture.
- Responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination.
- Understands and complies with Company policies and procedures, including EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and Saltchuk Code of Ethical Business Conduct.
- Effectively communicates function and/or regional goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Processes performance evaluations in a timely, effective and fair manner.
- Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
- Establishes goals, monitors progress and results of direct reports.
- Addresses inter- and intra-department training needs and counseling, as needed.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- In-depth knowledge of financial analysis and financial accounting systems.
- Excellent accounting skills including current knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Financial Accounting Standards and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards.
- Excellent analytical abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and experience in a shared services model preferred.
- Must be a team player.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Computer literate, with the ability to utilize standard software applications and be proficient in Windows and MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel). Knowledge of SAP and Power BI is preferred.
- Knowledge of the maritime industry preferred.
- Evaluate financial systems and practices and make appropriate recommendations for improvement.
- Develop and implement financial procedures and controls.
- Prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive financial analysis/statements, reports, and written materials.
- Manage multiple tasks, set objectives/goals, and re-prioritize as needed.
- Work cooperatively with other divisions and management, i.e., create effective partnerships throughout organization.
- Work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities.
- Respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to staff and management throughout the organization.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. CPA, MBA or equivalent preferred and 7 -10 years’ progressively responsible experience in finance and decision-support roles. Demonstrable experience as a change agent. Demonstrable experience managing staff and building teams.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.