Director, Benefits & HR
Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Human Resources
Publish Date: February 11, 2019
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
Who are you?
You are an experienced, detail-oriented, and motivated HR professional. You have significant benefits (retirement & health) experience and are also knowledgeable about general HR practices. You can juggle multiple and far-reaching projects at one time, with a keen eye for details while also keeping your eye on the big picture. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and have an aptitude for critical thinking. You are also an excellent communicator, and can build and manage relationships across all levels of the organization.
As the Director of Benefits & HR, you will lead the design, strategy and compliance activities related to the health benefit programs with an annual cost of $50M and for the 401(k) Plan with assets of over $400M. You will be a “trusted advisor” to the stakeholders across Saltchuk’s five business units and serve as the point person for managing vendor relations. Additionally, you will function as the HR resource for the corporate home office and will have oversight for recruiting, on-boarding, training and employee relations.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
- You’ll manage the company’s 401(k) plan, including ensuring plan compliance, oversee plan testing and audits, and manage investment and administrative committee activities.
- You’ll lead 401(k) vendor partnerships, ensure up to date plan documents and policies, and provide strategic leadership across all the business units. You’ll serve as the liaison for the business units on escalated employee issues and as the plan expert.
- You’ll manage the annual benefits renewal process by leading the efforts across all the business units and partnering with benefits broker and administrator. You’ll manage claims utilization, plan compliance, and reporting.
- You’ll lead health and welfare benefits open enrollment process for the corporate home office as well as the wellness program.
- You’ll be the key contact with our benefits broker and serve as the benefits liaison with the business units. You’ll serve as the liaison for the business units on escalated employee issues.
- You’ll be responsible for all vendor partnerships, contract renewals and service level agreements.
- You’ll be responsible for all compliance requirements, including managing required audits, 5500 form completion, supporting ACA reporting, etc.
- You’ll assist in HR data analysis, including compensation and benefits reporting.
- You’ll work closely with the SVP, HR on a variety of cross-company collaboration HR initiatives including training and development programs.
- Other duties as assigned in support of HR and Saltchuk strategies.
- Travels to visit subsidiary companies, and attends meetings & conferences as needed.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business, or a related field
- Preferably, you have Benefit Certifications (CBP, CEBS)
- If you have an HR certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP) that’s a plus!
Experience and Skills
- You have a minimum of 8 years directly related benefits experience and a minimum of 5 years of HR generalist experience.
- You have significant experience with 401(k)’s. Pension and non-qualified plan experience is a plus.
- You have a solid understanding of compliance requirements and best practices related to benefits plans (health & retirement)
- You are comfortable working as an individual contributor, as well as working collaboratively with senior management and other HR leaders
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are able to think strategically as well as be very hands on
- You are collaborative and a team oriented approach is essential
- You have strong project and process management skills with a demonstrated track record of delivering results
- You have solid analytical skills with a strong attention to detail
- You have strong business acumen, consulting, and problem solving skills