Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting, Finance
Publish Date: February 6, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
This position focuses on data management and is a hub for standardized reporting, and will collaborate deeply with IT, the Finance, Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team, and the broader finance team. Must possess very strong master data management, financial and analytical skills along with an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to work well across teams.
- Understand Saltchuk Marine’s data structures and business processes within SAP S/4 Hana, Helm Connect, and other systems we use.
- Partner with the FP&A team to gather requirements and collaborate with IT to develop process efficiencies through system development and automation.
- Understand other stakeholders’ use cases, and work closely with internal customers and IT to maintain our data warehouse and reporting tools, updating as appropriate.
- Ensure data cleanliness through monitoring, investigating, and resolving data discrepancies.
- Collaborate with IT to implement a financial planning system to support the development of long-range plan, budgeting, and rolling monthly forecasting.
- Empower the finance and business teams with standardized tools including a data visualization dashboard, which can be filtered according to specific criteria.
- Act as a point of escalation for issues that cannot be resolved.
- Ad hoc analyses
- Leading and participating in various projects throughout the year
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates regional/department goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Adheres to all company policies.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong analytical/quantitative skills, critical thinking and an innate curiosity to find answers.
- Ability to drive change and see results.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement concept and commitment to do what it takes to drive transformation.
- Ability to work well with and be of service to others at all levels.
- Understanding of accounting concepts, financial statements and how they interact.
- Very strong attention to detail as work is fast-paced and supports significant financial decisions.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work in an unstructured environment, manager longer-term projects and proactively identify solutions.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to communicate to non-technical employees.
- Advanced excel skills and ability to manage and connect large and disparate data sets.
- Proficient personal computer skills including email, word processing, graphics etc.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field. Must have 3 — 7 years of relevant experience in a similar role. Experience with SAP S/4 Hana Cloud and SAP Analytics for Cloud preferred. Must be willing to periodically travel as needed.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.