Dangerous Goods (DG) Specialist I
Company: Northern Air Cargo
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Aviation, Warehouse
Publish Date: November 13, 2020
Company Description: Northern Air Cargo (NAC), headquartered in Anchorage, is Alaska largest all-cargo airline and the longest continuously operating cargo airline in North America. NAC has provided airfreight services to Alaska’s rural communities for more than 60 years and is rapidly expanding to include air cargo flight operations throughout the western hemisphere and Hawaii. NAC maintains a fleet of Boeing 737 and 767 freighters and operates pilot bases in Anchorage, Honolulu, Miami and Laredo. NAC’s fleet of B737s provide schedule service between Anchorage and 13 Alaska communities and charter service throughout North America (both on-demand and ACMI). While the B767 fleet operates out of Miami in support of sister company StratAir and out of Honolulu in support of sister company Aloha Air Cargo.
Northern Air Cargo
The Dangerous Goods (DG) Specialist is responsible for receiving, verifying and completing required documentation of customer freight containing dangerous goods. Under general supervision, the DG Specialist will perform and assist coordination of DG shipment activities to provide the safe, orderly, and expeditious movement of hazardous freight. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies and applicable laws and regulations pertaining to DG material transportation. This is a non-supervisory role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Characterizes, consolidates, repackages, and ships dangerous goods for customers per 49CFR, ICAO, IATA
· Accepts and inspects incoming freight from customers, cross references freight received to ensure the processing and consolidation of dangerous goods are compliant with all federal, state and local regulations and Company policies.
· Determines the most effective method to ship dangerous goods, repackages cargo and labels appropriately; prepares DG’s for shipment to destination.
· Works regularly with internal and external customers, including workstations throughout rural Alaska and regulatory agencies
· Processes and maintains required documentation associated with transportation of dangerous goods, shipper’s declarations
· Communicates and documents irregularities, issues and successes to management
· Assists management with employee training on DG/hazardous material acceptance, safe management of DG/hazardous materials and emergency responses by documenting and reporting training deficiencies.
· Assists in educating customers regarding to hazardous materials regulations
· Tracks and maintains all DG/hazmat equipment and supplies
· Remains knowledgeable of current federal, state and local regulations regarding dangerous transportation
· Performs duties of Cargo Service Agent, as required
· Complies with all security practices, policies and procedures as trained.
· Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
· High school diploma or GED
· One-year related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
· Valid driver’s license required
· Must be at least 18 years old
· HAZMAT certification preferred
· Cargo and/or logistics experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Ability to understand regulations, policies, and procedures at federal, state and local levels pertaining to DG/hazardous materials
· Ability to review and understand complex technical documents
· Ability to complete all basic and re-currency training for HAZMAT requirements
· Ability to identify potential hazards in the handling and storage of DG/hazardous material and report accordingly
· Ability to exercise good judgment and makes decisions in logical and rational manner
· Must be a team player.
· Develop an understanding of OSHA regulations as well as Company policies and department procedures
· Knowledge of 49CFR, ICAO, IATA and ordinances governing the transportation of DG/hazardous materials and complexities affecting regulatory compliance
· Ability to sort, stack and/or palletize materials in accordance with prescribed methods
· Ability to learn and understand dangerous goods transportation requirements
· Strong attention to detail skills
· Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Basic understanding of Microsoft applications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
· Stand, walk and sit for extended periods
· Reach horizontally and vertically with arms.
· Lift, carry, push or pull objects up to 70 pounds
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.