Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting, Finance
Publish Date: January 15, 2020
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
The Credit Manager oversees NorthStar Energy’s credit and collections shared service function and will report to the NorthStar Controller. The position is accountable for the entire credit granting and collection processes, including the consistent application of credit policy, periodic credit reviews of existing customers and the assessment of the credit worthiness of potential customers, with the goal of supporting sales and earnings growth and limiting bad debt losses. This position works closely with sales and accounting personnel and communicates extensively with external customers.
- Develop and execute credit policies for each Shared Service business unit, supporting sales growth and minimizing credit losses.
- Manage new customer account process and credit application process; recommend credit lines and payment terms consistent with customer risk and business.
- Continuously monitor the accounts receivable portfolio for each business and the credit performance of customers; manage credit lines and identify credit strategies and solutions.
- Identify and track key risk indicators for customer credit deterioration; identify and track operating metrics to measure efficiency and effectiveness of credit and collection processes.
- Ensure that credit policies and processes reflect best practices and actively initiate strategies to improve credit and collections processes from both an internal and external experience.
- Take a lead role to gain cooperation and resolve issues that impact receipt of timely payment or customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrate flexibility and understanding performing collection efforts while taking steps necessary to ensure that cash flow and credit management goals are met.
- Partner with internal departments as necessary to resolve business issues that may affect collection activities.
- Manage 1 Credit Specialist. Responsibilities include hiring, training and development, ongoing supervision and performance evaluation.
- Support accounting function including the calculation of late fees and other month-end accounts receivable activities as required
- Oversee the processing of all Energy Assistance heating grants/Notice of Action documentation.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 5 years commercial credit and collection experience with demonstrated experiencing in process improvement
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong initiative - Willingness to make change and drive accountability and productivity.
- Demonstrated experience in the ability to deal with ambiguity and focus on conflict resolution.
- Identify, analyze and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Develop strategies, action plans, and metrics to monitor results.
- Work in a team environment and interact effectively with customers, management and sales teams.
- Strong communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills and experience with credit monitoring and collection software is a plus