Credit & Collections Associate
Company: TOTE Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Finance
Publish Date: July 28, 2020
Company Description: TOTE is one of the nation’s leading domestic shipping operations. TOTE Maritime companies provide essential cargo services to Alaska and Puerto Rico. TOTE Services provides leading edge ship management solutions to government, commercial and private ship owners. TOTE knows that great companies are built by great people who embody our company’s values and vision. We strive to embody the values of safety, commitment and integrity in all that we do.
Are you analytical?
Do you enjoy working in a role that requires precision and technical expertise?
TOTE is looking for a Credit & Collections Associate like you!
The Credit & Collections Associate ensures the efficient collection of TOTE Resources receivables, depending on the assigned portfolio, by resolving outstanding issues on assigned accounts which range from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. The position also requires the associate to facilitate communication and secure prompt payment from Tote Resources agents and partners. The associate will also act as an Accounting Services liaison and assist other company departments by answering their questions and concerns in an expeditious manner.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
1. Maintain a clear understanding of all issues within assigned portfolio. Demonstrate accountability for these, create and implement a plan to resolve them. Approach all issues with a level of urgency proportional to their negative impact on the Accounts Receivable. Communicate summary status of assigned accounts on a regular basis and as needed.
2. Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of customers’ accounts payable processes and requirements to ensure payments are not delayed. Work with cross-functional Tote Resources departments to ensure all customer requirements are met. When necessary, document procedures on how to work complex accounts.
3. Prior to contacting the customer, thoroughly analyze the account and understand the customers’ payment habits, any recent or pending audits, short pay and overpay audits, and miscellaneous billings.
4. Contact customers via phone, fax, email and mail to:
• Ensure money owed to the Company is paid within the credit terms assigned to the account.
• Ensure money unapplied on the account is audited and applied to an open invoice or refunded to the customer promptly.
• Ensure charges billed via the miscellaneous invoice process is collected or resolved via the appropriate channels.
5. Utilize quantitative data when communicating with customers to demonstrate the scope and impact of the issue at hand. (e.g. # of invoices, # dollars, percentage of balance, # days to pay, etc.)
6. Ensure customers have everything needed to issue payment, by promptly faxing or emailing invoices, source documentation and any other requested information
7. Resolve customer disputes by:
a) Listening to the customer to completely understand their concern
b) Researching their dispute in coordination with Freight Audit (as needed) and reviewing the facts of the situation to identify if their concern is valid based on the tariff or contract.
c) If their dispute is valid, insure all corrections are made and communicate back to them the outcome.
d) If their dispute is not valid, explain why and ask for payment, referencing facts, the provisions of their contract and/or the rules in the tariff.
8. Display clear understanding of the Company’s Order-to-Cash Process, Financial Services processes and cross-functional department processes. Draw from this knowledge and past experience to develop solutions to problems.
9. Support the collection of Demurrage, Chassis and Energy as invoiced using the new Demurrage portal tool.
10. Contact customers shipping under COD credit terms to collect payment in full prior the release of cargo at destination, if the cargo is not paid at origin. Upon receipt of payment notify the appropriate party that cargo is no longer on credit hold.
11. Monitor delinquent accounts and transfer the entire package to Manager for additional collection efforts or write-off, third party collection, or legal action.
12. Fax or email credit application to new customers as needed. Follow required process in order to substantiate assigning of a credit line (trade and bank references, DNB, etc). Upon receipt submit to Credit Manager for review/approval and processing.
13. Follow all department and Tote Resources procedures. Assist in revising and improving the procedures as needed.
14. Support department decision-making when the Credit & Collections Manager is not available.
15. Work on special projects assigned by Credit & Collections Manager or Finance Management.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists the Company in any necessary duties to achieve Company goals.
2. Perform other related duties as assigned.
3. Adherence to the Integrated Management System that covers Quality, Environmental, and Safety (International Organization for Standardization) certifications.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in a collections role is required.
• Knowledge of customer service and/or sales is beneficial
• Experience in large business to business collections preferred.
• Must possess outstanding problem-solving skills.
• Time management, organizational skills, decision-making ability are required
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel (i.e. sort data, sum data, enter basic formulas, etc.)
• Proficient in Microsoft Word (i.e. letter writing, bold & italicize words, etc.)
• Accurate 10-key skills.
• Must be able to maintain professionalism while resolving customer conflicts and concerns
• Must be able to comprehend, speak and write in English.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
• Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
• Associates degree in Business or related field required.
• Bachelors Degree or related experience preferred.