Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: August 18, 2021
Company Description: With operations in Hawaii, Alaska, and California, NorthStar Energy understands that fuel continues to be a vital resource in some of the most complex and remote communities. It is up to us to deliver this commodity safely, ethically, and without harm to the local environment. We believe all businesses must commit to a cleaner future, investing in more efficient operations, products, and services. Our responsibility is to innovatively guide our customers to the future of fuel while navigating the complexities of remote geographies and economies.
NorthStar Energy is seeking a Corporate Controller to join our team!
Do you want to help drive the strategy and vision for the Finance & Accounting departments?
We invest in people and companies to help them realize their full potential and reach new heights. Our distributed leadership model allows our companies to access best-in-class resources, insights into industry trends and market developments so that they can focus on customers’ needs and also be positioned for the future.
What you’ll do:
The NorthStar Energy (NorthStar) Corporate Controller is in charge of the leadership and management of the NorthStar accounting and shared service functions (accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit, and inventory), which is provided to certain NorthStar operating companies.
- Lead the finance and accounting areas by setting clear vision and strategy, ensure strong internal controls, and meet internal and external reporting requirements.
- Effectively lead department managers in managing their teams, drive associate engagement, set clear and exciting goals, provide timely feedback and coaching, maintain sufficient communication and support.
- Serve as the technical accounting professional and trusted advisor to senior management maintaining current knowledge of GAAP, relevant regulations, and industry trends providing guidance, planning, and direction related to all financial and accounting matters.
- Be responsible for the development of annual business plans/budgets and ongoing financial forecasts. Work with business leaders to communicate plan elements, identify variances and develop corrective actions, where possible.
- Lead all aspects of the monthly accounting close and consolidation process for accurate and timely reporting for NorthStar and shared services companies.
- Guide the shared services accounting function including credit, collections, billing, cash applications, accounts payable, indirect taxes, inventory, and fixed assets, providing exemplary service to the operating businesses, customers and vendors.
- Implement, modify, and supervise internal controls to ensure accurate reporting, proper safeguarding of company assets, and compliance with all Saltchuk accounting and reporting policies.
- Drive productivity improvements throughout the accounting organization and increase organizational capability through training and development of personnel.
- Develop and execute improvement in execution roadmap for our company and all operating companies.
- Provide leadership throughout the organization on accounting policy development and implementation.
- Lead all NorthStar companies’ bank accounts and treasury services.
- Support M&A activities including quality of earnings review, accounting valuation, and post-acquisition integration.
- Coordinate goodwill process and annual valuation.
- Lead, mentor, and engage with team and colleagues in a manner that reflects NorthStar’s values of cohesion, dedication, courage, and personal agency.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
Who you are:
- Proven understanding of GAAP and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate strengths of the current finance team members
- Strong ERP systems experience; experience with MAS 90 preferred
- Experience implementing accounting systems and processes, scaling an accounting function, and driving continuous improvement processes
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high growth environment
- Ownership mindset—data accuracy and reporting integrity are crucial to our finance brand
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in optimally communicating key data, including presentations to executives, board, or other outside partners
- Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and encouraging a robust accounting team
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability and desire to translate sophisticated financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Proficiency in defining, documenting, and implementing accounting and processes
- Above average Excel skills and sophisticated knowledge of MS Office
- Previous experience in SAP preferred
What you'll need:
- Work History Requirements:10+ years accounting experience
- Education Requirements: Degree in Accounting or Finance, desirable. CPA preferred. Public accounting experience a plus or a corporate accounting department with demonstrated career progression, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation plans
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- Generous PTO policy
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Dynamic Wellness Program
- 401k matching program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- A hybrid work environment with remote Mondays and Fridays!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.