Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: July 31, 2019
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
Bring your proven experience building and developing high-performing accounting teams and processes to our beautiful Seattle location.
The NorthStar Energy Corporate Controller is responsible for the leadership and management of NorthStar’s accounting shared service function, which provides accounting and credit management services to NorthStar and certain operating companies. Essential responsibilities are:
- Manage the monthly accounting close and consolidation process to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting for NorthStar and shared services companies.
- Manage all accounting functions for NorthStar Energy and shared services companies including fixed assets, inventory, AR, AP, and expense reporting.
- Manage the annual audit and internal control reviews by NorthStar’s parent, Saltchuk.
- Review and monitor internal controls to ensure accurate financial reporting, proper safeguarding of company assets and compliance with internal and external policies.
- Develop and manage the credit functions for the shared services operating companies ensuring consistent application of credit and collections policies, assessment of creditworthiness of potential and existing customers and consistent management and delivery of strong collections goals.
- Ensure all accounting policies, processes and internal controls are properly and clearly documented and communicated.
- Manage all treasury administration and weekly cashflow forecasting.
- Drive continuous process improvement in accounting applications and operational procedures to bring greater efficiency of resources and improve accuracy and timeliness of work product.
- Manage the shared services providing exemplary service to the operating business, their customers and vendors.
- Provide development, training and leadership for the accounting team instilling a strong collaborative culture.
- As required, lead post-acquisition integration.
- Manage, mentor and engage with the accounting team and colleagues in a manner that reflects NorthStar’s values of cohesion, commitment, courage, and personal agency.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and 8-10 years’ experience in public accounting or a corporate accounting department with demonstrated career progression. Demonstrated experience in building teams, process improvement and utilizing technologies to drive efficiencies.
Other Professional Skills and Experience
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- A proven leader in building and developing high-performing teams
- Experience in implementing new accounting processes and technologies
- Strong technical knowledge of US GAAP
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience in designing and implementing internal controls and processes
- Strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
- Experience with MAS 90-200 preferred
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office
- CPA preferred