Continuous Improvement Project Manager
Company: Northern Aviation Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Administrative
Publish Date: September 27, 2021
Company Description: Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Northern Aviation Services (NAS) is comprised of operating companies: Aloha Air Cargo, Aloha Tech Ops, Northern Air Cargo, Northern Air Maintenance Services and StratAir. NAS companies provide air cargo and logistic services throughout the United States and beyond. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our workplaces operate at a high level of safety, providing reliable best-in-class customer service while maintaining a strong commitment to the communities we serve.
Northern Aviation Services
About the role:
We are looking for someone who isn’t just passionate about helping leaders and teams determine the best solutions, but also leading efforts to implement those solutions and create a foundation to sustain results. If you are excited by the idea of leading projects where there may be no known solution, vary in complexity from simple to company-wide initiatives, and will be developing leaders to be better at solving problems, this is your ideal role. We are looking for someone who has experience utilizing continuous improvement (CI) and project management (PM) and can help the company grow by applying those skills to lead projects and mentor others. We are on a journey towards a CI culture, and this role plays a key part in building a problem-solving and learning environment. This position reports to the Director of Continuous Improvement & Operations.
About the company:
Northern Aviation Services (NAS) is part of Saltchuk, which is a family of diversified transportation and distribution companies with a vision to serve our customers by being the best in North America. We value safety, reliability, and commitment. Our operating locations include Alaska, Florida, Hawaii and Washington. Our operating companies include Aloha Air Cargo, Northern Air Cargo, StratAir, Northern Air Maintenance Services, and Aloha Tech Ops.
The work you will be doing:
- Leading through influence
- Lead/Facilitate CI workshops and projects of varying complexity and helping leadership teams achieve business KPIs using CI.
- Educate and coach leaders and teams on how to apply CI and PM. Use the “teach through doing” approach to develop others and assist in constructing a growth plan for embedding CI into the culture of the company.
- Act as a CI and PM resource, and coach to build problem solving and implementation skills in leaders and teams.
- Accomplish objectives through other people, requiring effective collaboration and relationship building skills – become seen as a trusted advisor whose advice is sought out.
- Consume information on various topics from those on your project teams, then consolidate and communicate in a way that is understood by others who have different levels of knowledge on the subject – communication with others, verbal and written, is key to the success of this role.
- Communicate with stakeholders and senior leaders on the status of projects, escalating issues as necessary.
- Role model data-based decision making.
- You understand and practice CI principles such as flow, respect for people, customer first, and standard work.
- Other duties as assigned
- Even after COVID-19 precautions are lifted, there is flexibility to do some work from home
You’ll be successful with the following experience and skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Led a team of remote resources at all organizational levels and possess the ability to facilitate conversations for removing barriers to success
- Have supported both operational and shared services teams
- When you talk about CI and PM it’s in plain language, staying away from jargon and terms that may discourage others from wanting to engage or feel intimidated
- Customer focused in finding practical solutions that meet the needs of the business
- Spent time coaching and developing others in CI and PM, from individual contributors to director level, and possibly the executive level
- Strong communication and presentation skills and techniques to bring about agreement between divergent points of view
- Ability to write clear, concise, and direct narratives and reports
- You have helped leaders develop plans that sustain results
- You are proficient in Excel and may have additional experience in other statistical or data visualization tools
- At minimum, you have a Lean certification (or equivalent)
- You have spent at least five (5) years applying CI tools in practical applications – you’ve led teams to solve actual problems and sustained the results
- You have at least five (5) years of project management experience, leading small to medium size projects, using core disciplines such as requirements gathering, scope, schedule, budget, change management, and risk management
- Bachelor’s degree preferred – other combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Travel up to 25% – Note that travel may be reduced while COVID-19 precautions are in place
- Able to work in an operational setting, when applicable to assigned projects, which may require standing for several hours at a time and spending time on various shifts
- Airline/Aviation experience preferred
- PMP Certification preferred
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
To apply for this job please visit www.nac.aero.