Chief Inspector- NSMV
Company: TOTE Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Management
Publish Date: August 5, 2020
Company Description: Since 1975, TOTE Services has provided full technical management and partial management/ crewing services for nearly one-hundred vessels of various sizes and configurations. We know that great companies are built by great people who embody our company’s values and vision. Whether we’re hiring for a shoreside or seagoing position, we look for people who can help us provide the world’s best ship management, marine operations, and vessel services. TOTE Services strives to lead the industry in safety, quality, and operational excellence and the TOTE Services team is critical to our success. www.toteservices.com
TOTE Services is seeking a qualified individual to serve as Chief Inspector under TOTE’s Vessel Construction Management (VCM) contract to build, outfit, and deploy up to five (5) National Security Multi-Mission Vessels (NSMV) for the Maritime Administration (MARAD). This position will be located in Philadelphia, PA at Philly Shipyard, Inc and will report directly to the TOTE Services NSMV Program Manager.
The Chief Inspector will provide leadership, guidance, and shipbuilding expertise to a team of inspectors tasked to verify quality and workmanship throughout the entire build period, including the warranty phase. With support from the NSMV Program Manager, the Chief Inspector will also be responsible for demonstrating a deep commitment to safety by implementing, supporting and adhering to a shipyard safety program that aligns with TOTE Services’ core values and organizational objectives.
The Chief Inspector will be working closely with representatives from MARAD, the shipbuilder’s Quality Control department, ABS, and USCG to conduct tests and inspections to demonstrate strict adherence to contract requirements and performance standards. The position will also be responsible for independently evaluating the shipbuilder’s construction progress against published schedules.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
The Chief Inspector will represent TOTE Services in all aspects of NSMV construction oversight during vessel fabrication, including panel assembly, block erection, surface preparation and coating, machinery and equipment installation, outfitting, electrical, and onboard safety systems. He/she will manage a team of inspectors and is expected to carry-out the following fundamental duties:
- Implement an onsite safety program in coordination with TOTE’s corporate safety group.
- Provide daily supervision and guidance to a team of inspectors and subject matter experts to verify quality workmanship and contract compliance during all stages of vessel construction.
- Validate proposed design changes and assist with the resolution of technical issues.
- Support the development and execution of a robust Test and Inspection Plan and propose strategies for efficient production oversight.
- Serve as the primary liaison between TOTE and applicable regulatory bodies, including ABS and USCG.
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT) and other key equipment and system inspections, including sea trials, to verify and document the performance of the vessel, its systems, and equipment.
- Independently evaluate the shipbuilder’s progress against the published schedule and provide recurring status updates to the Program Manager.
- Report on all aspects of vessel construction and maintain detailed record-keeping of inspection reports and other key document.
- Lead the development and implementation of the ship’s preventative maintenance plans, Integrated Logistics Support Plan (ILS), operating manuals, and other such documents required by MARAD under the VCM contract.
- Perform general supervisory duties, including evaluation and selection of candidates for the onsite inspection team, performance evaluations, resource coordination, training support, and resolution of employee complaints.
- Support the continued improvement of VCM processes and procedures to streamline administrative efforts and enhance the quality of deliverables provided to the Customer.
This position will be required to travel via all modes of transportation within the Continental U.S. and potential overseas facilities. Ability to obtain a government-issued passport is required.
- 10+ years of related experience in new construction shipbuilding.
- Vessel operational experience preferred.
- Proficient in shipbuilding best-practices, techniques, and production planning.
- Broad marine technical knowledge with a general understanding of advanced concepts and principles of marine engineering.
- Ability to read and comprehend government contract documents.
- Significant recent experience with USCG and/or one of the major marine Classification Societies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Programs, including Microsoft Project.
Bachelor’s Degree in Marine Engineering or equivalent field.