Chief Engineer A1
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Engineering
Publish Date: July 27, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
- Continually maintains a safe work environment on the vessel, implementing Company policies and procedures, and general maritime industry best practice wherever applicable.
- Maintains all vessel machinery and systems, including main propulsion, auxiliary power generation, ancillary, deck and cargo handling. Ensures proper operations of control, monitoring and alarm components and systems.
- Notifies the Captain and Port Engineer of any abnormal changes in the status of machinery operation.
- Performs safe and effective voyage repairs with limited resources and outside support, while working under tight time constraints and in remote geographical locations.
- Troubleshoots machinery malfunctions as required and effectively communicates directly with the Captain and Port Engineer and designated shore-side support staff and vendors, to provide timely and relevant information for the diagnoses and repair of vessel machinery and systems.
- Responsible for vessel bunkering operations, insuring compliance with established fueling procedures.
- Checks and maintains fuel/fluid levels in all tanks within the vessel, takes monthly oil samples for analysis.
- Maintains adequate critical spares and general vessel parts inventory levels.
- Trains Junior Engineering staff in Company policies, vessel operations, equipment repair and preventative maintenance procedures.
- Works as assigned by the Port Engineer for the safe and effective management of shipyard personnel and other vendors, during planned and emergent maintenance and repair periods.
- Must have a valid DDE 4,000 HP license or greater.
- Must have a valid TWIC card.
- Must have a valid USCG Merchant Mariner Document or Merchant Mariner Credential.
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to respond to call-out work, with two hours notice.
- Able to join the union within 30 days of hire.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.