Cargo Service Agent – Miami
Company: Tropical Shipping
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations
Publish Date: May 11, 2020
Company Description: Tropical has been rated as "best place to work" in the shipping industry for 10 years in a row. Employees enjoy our team spirit & work ethic and many have been with us for as long as 30 years. From those in the office to the team loading docks and conducting ship work, Tropical employees across the US, Canada, Bahamas and Caribbean reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business. We see diversity and inclusiveness as an essential part of our productivity, creativity, and competitive advantage. We hire great people and our teams feel a lot like family. Together we do outstanding work and we enjoy a fun healthy work life balance.
Inspects and receives cargo to protect the interest of Tropical and its customers. Recieves cargo on the main floor, the Ramp, UPS and the Yard. Verifies that cargo meets Tropical’s minimum requirements for cargo acceptance. Notifies Supervisor / Crew Leader for problem resolution when cargo does not meet Tropical requirements. Measures and documents the shipment’s size, type and characteristics along with complete written record of any discrepancies. Applies proper Tropical labels, according to cargo marks and paperwork, and enters correct data in the warehouse management system, preparing cargo for putaway. Operates a forklift as part of the receiving, stripping, or putaway processes. Puts away cargo in the proper location and documents that transaction properly in the warehouse management system. Attends to customers delivering at the ramp and in the yard, to ensure they are given personal attention and special assistance when needed. Makes sure special marking needs and handling requirements for flat rack type cargo are properly done.
To apply for this job please visit hrwppb06v.trophq.tropical.com.
1. Inspects cargo to ensure that cargo meets the Tropical receiving guidelines for acceptance.
2. Receives cargo by :
a. Verifying and documenting the count.
b. Ensuring that cargo matches description on the carrier's freight bill
c. Verifying and documenting cargo condition.
d. Properly noting exceptions (discrepancies) on the delivery agent's paperwork.
e. Checks for proper hazardous material documents.
f. Signs the delivery receipt, and accepts cargo in accordance with the receiving process.
3. Measures cargo and enters information into the warehouse management system or on hand tally.
4. Properly, accurately, and legibly, records all other required information on tally or in warehouse management system.
5. Prepares cargo for putaway by verifying paperwork, and placing cargo on pallets. Secures cargo to pallets with shrinkwrap and/or tape.
6. Applies labels to each handling unit, in accordance with company procedures.
7. Exhibits good customer service skills in communicating with customers, truckers, and vendors.
8. Performs and documents pre-shift forklift inspection.
9. Operates a forklift to unload delivery trucks and containers.
10. Assists in stripping cargo as needed.
11. Transfers large shipments from delivery truck directly into containers.
12. Keeps work area clean and free of all safety hazards at all times.
13. Performs all other assigned duties as requested.
|EDUCATION:||High School Diploma or equivalent.|
|EXPERIENCE:||Six(6) months Tropical warehouse experience.|
OSHA Certified in forklift operation.
|LICENSE:||Valid State of Florida Drivers License|
|PHYSICAL:||Ability to frequently twist, bend, reach, squat, climb, push/pull 50-100 pounds.|
Ability to twist and rotate upper body, lift and carry 60 pounds.
Ability to remain standing for prolonged periods of time.
Ability to work in a non climate-controlled warehouse environment.
|(Education and experience minimums can be substituted with any equivalent combination of training and experience)|