Cargo Service Agent
Company: Northern Air Cargo
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Category: Warehouse
Publish Date: April 26, 2021
Company Description: Northern Air Cargo (NAC), headquartered in Anchorage, is Alaska largest all-cargo airline and the longest continuously operating cargo airline in North America. NAC has provided airfreight services to Alaska’s rural communities for more than 60 years and is rapidly expanding to include air cargo flight operations throughout the western hemisphere and Hawaii. NAC maintains a fleet of Boeing 737 and 767 freighters and operates pilot bases in Anchorage, Honolulu, Miami and Laredo. NAC’s fleet of B737s provide schedule service between Anchorage and 13 Alaska communities and charter service throughout North America (both on-demand and ACMI). While the B767 fleet operates out of Miami in support of sister company StratAir and out of Honolulu in support of sister company Aloha Air Cargo.
Northern Air Cargo
Do you enjoy a fast-paced environment where you can do physical work and see results every day? You will help get critical cargo delivered to Alaska communities off the road system. Are you looking for stability? Northern Air Cargo has been in business for over 65 years! We need safety-minded, reliable people to ensure our airplanes are loaded and arrive at their destinations on time. This is a 24-hour cargo operation with consistent full-time work schedules offered. Available shifts will vary at the time of hire. Starting pay is $15 – $16.50 DOE. Full benefit package, including travel perks and opportunity for annual bonus!
The Cargo Service Agent is responsible for freight acceptance, cargo consolidation, and loading and unloading aircraft through physical work and use of material ground handling equipment. Duties are carried out in adherence with all Northern Air Cargo policies and procedures and conducted in thorough, systematic, and organized processes. Work assignments are divided in two sections, ramp and warehouse.
- Responsible for the loading and unloading of inbound and outbound air cargo shipments to and from the proper destinations.
- Greet and assist customers with the unloading of cargo from the delivery vehicle using material handling equipment including non-powered equipment, electric pallet jacks and forklifts.
- Complete and process required paperwork related to customer shipments in a courteous, accurate and timely manner.
- Verify customer freight against receiving documents, data entry, and labeling: weigh, describe cargo, conduct security inspection and processing any additional paperwork related to Dangerous Goods, as required, ensuring cargo are air eligible and ready for on time shipment
- Complies with all cargo acceptance policies and procedures outlined in the Manuals for Cargo Service Agents, in accordance to all regulatory requirements and guidelines.
- Maintain the safety and security of the cargo facility at all times by complying with safety and security procedures and policies.
- Communicates and documents safety concerns, irregularities, issues, and successes to management.
- Refer to cargo manifest to consolidate, stage, and assemble shipments.
- Break down, build up and tie down of cargo into and out of Unit Load Device (ULD) by hand or forklift
- Aircraft loading and unloading, using powered and non-powered ground handling equipment; including forklifts, K-loaders, belt loaders, tugs, dollies, and carts.
- Operate vehicles to convey cargo to and from airport facilities.
- Pickup and delivery of standard and priority mail to and from the Airport Mail Facility.
- Other duties as assigned
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- High School Diploma, or equivalent.
- Must have valid driver’s license with good driving record.
- Basic understanding of cargo operation preferred.
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Pass up to a 10-year background check.
- Must be authorization to work in the United States.
- Must complete SIDA training to obtain airport authority identification security.
- Must be able to prioritize daily workload and duties.
- Must have outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Ability to easily adapt to frequent changes in the workplace.
- Basic math skills are required.
- Must be able to work independently and in team environment.
- Ability to work weekends (i.e. Friday, Saturday and Sunday), holidays, and days off.
- Ability to identify safety risk and hazards.
- Ability to complete all required basic and re-current training.
- Ability to read and understand regulations, policies, and procedures at federal, state and local levels.
- Must comply with Company uniform requirements, including high visibility outerwear which is provided.
- Safety footwear is required.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Talking throughout the day, communication with customers and co-workers required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good hearing is required for effective and safe communication with co-workers and customers.
- Work is performed in the warehouse and aircraft, outside and on the ramp.
- May be exposed to adverse weather conditions (cold and heat), wet surfaces and icy conditions.
- May be working around stationary and moving aircraft.
- May operate on or around industrial equipment.
- Use of personal protective equipment may be required.
- The work is classified as “heavy” with regards to the physical demands.
- Must be able to lift up to 100 lbs occasionally
- Must be able to push/ pull 100 lbs to load and offload cargo
- Good vision is required to perform all duties and tasks.
- Frequent use hands and fingers to feel objects and/or handle tools.
- Frequently stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb and balance on ladders and stairs; stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Minimal crawling required
The intent of this Description is to provide a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed and results expected by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against based on disability.