Location: Federal Way
Company: TOTE Resources
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Finance, Purchasing/Procurement
Publish Date: July 2, 2019
Company Description: TOTE is one of the nation’s leading domestic shipping operations. TOTE Maritime companies provide essential cargo services to Alaska and Puerto Rico. TOTE Services provides leading edge ship management solutions to government, commercial and private ship owners. TOTE knows that great companies are built by great people who embody our company’s values and vision. We strive to embody the values of safety, commitment and integrity in all that we do.
TOTE Inc., a family of operating companies that focus on shipping, ship management and maritime services for our customers and communities from Alaska to Puerto Rico, is looking to hire a Buyer. TOTE is committed to being reliable, resourceful and responsive in all that we do. Safety and respect for our employees are our top priorities. TOTE knows great companies are built by great people who embody our company’s values and vision.
TOTE Resources provides shared services to all TOTE companies. This includes information technology, finance and procurement services.
This position coordinates activities involved with procuring goods and services including, but not limited to, raw materials, equipment, tools, parts, ship repair services for organization, etc. Position works with internal stakeholders and suppliers to prepare purchase orders for procurement of material and services by performing the following duties.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
- Reviews requisitions. Solicits vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule. Issues requests for quotations as required.
- Selects products for purchase based on defined department standards. Estimates values according to knowledge of market price. Provide guidance on method of procurement to be used by TOTE employees.
- Verifies nomenclature and specifications of purchase requests and prepares purchase orders or bid requests. Identifies like product for deprecated products.
- Collects and reviews quotes and bid proposals and negotiates purchases within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Is required to ensure that all applicable documentation per customer contracts such as required insurance certificates, are on file, are current and up to date as well as any/all necessary procurement approvals are obtained prior to request for pending purchase order approvals.
- When required prepares bid summary sheet for quotes received.
- Enters pricing information in the appropriate Company purchasing system.
- Selects vendors for purchase award based on best value with specific focus on being able to expand work with vendors that fall in the disadvantaged categories (Small, Woman Owned, Veteran, etc.) When necessary will continue to search for new small business concerns for any/all supplies and services such as vendors that are considered to assist in the goals as presented in our customer required small business plans.
- Maintains procurement records such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories. Responsible for vendor management including regular business reviews to confirm vendor meets approval status and service standards at the company and corporate level.
- Ensures requested purchases are within defined budgets. Escalates any requested purchase which exceed forecast. Ensures purchases exceeding $5K follow defined capitalization guidelines and workflow.
- Consults websites, catalogs and interviews suppliers to obtain prices and specifications, delivery dates and places orders with suppliers.
- Discusses defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to determine source of discrepancy and take corrective action. Any corrective action taken shall be documented in the purchasing directory for future reference to all buyers.
- Expedites delivery of goods to users. Communicates delivery delays to requestor real-time.
- May be required to send new vendor profile packets to potential new vendors to complete.
- Responsible for Order management ensuring correlation between Purchase Orders and Vendor Commitments. Duties also include working with Accounts Payable and Vendor to ensure mismatches between Purchase Orders and Invoices are corrected.
- Meets/Exceeds Key Process Indicators as a representation of Buyer efficiency.
- Associate degree preferred
- Two to three years related procurement experience and/or training. Equivalent combination of education and experience accepted
Other Essential Abilities and Skills
- Conducts oneself with a high level of integrity and ethics.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals or technical procedures. Including the ability to comprehend reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
- Ability to interpret and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in a variety of written, oral, diagram or schedule format.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be a team player
- Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Good analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Computer literate, with the ability to utilize standard software applications and be proficient in Windows and MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
The TOTE brand is built on talented people, smart investments and opportunity. We know that great companies are built by great people. Explore the possibilities with the TOTE family of companies http://toteinc.com/
Interested candidates should apply via the TOTE Maritime website at www.totemaritime.com; About; Careers.
TOTE Maritime Alaska
US Mail to: PO Box 4129
Federal Way, WA 98063
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Vet/Disability
Drug Free Work Place