Business Controller – ROB
Company: Foss Maritime
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting, Administrative, Finance
Publish Date: March 5, 2020
Company Description: For more than a century, Foss Maritime has set the standard for marine transportation with leading edge technology, engineering, and shipbuilding. Combining global reach with local expertise, Foss is recognized for its state-of-the-art fleet, experienced and dedicated crews, knowledgeable customer service staff, and world-class engineers. Along with our independent subsidiaries the company employs thousands of people throughout the United States. With hundreds of tugs and barges we provide harbor services and transportation operations in all major U.S. West Coast ports – including the Columbia and Snake River system. Internationally, Foss supports customers across the Pacific Rim, in Europe, South America and the Arctic.
The Business Controller — Rhythm of Business (ROB), focuses on the core Financial, Planning & Analysis calendar, leading the Long Range Plan, budget, rolling monthly forecasts, and reporting to Senior Leadership and Saltchuk. This is a critical area for FP&A, strong leadership and collaboration skills is required in order to be successful in this position.
- Responsible for consolidated annual budgeting, rolling monthly forecasting, monthly reporting, and ad hoc reporting.
- Preparing materials, analyses, and presentations for Board of Directors and senior management, to deliver a comprehensive story.
- Develop and serve as primary administrator of long-range financial model, which includes incorporating modeling from harbor services, project services, M&A and SG&A, as well as capital expenditures.
- Analyze and monitor consolidated current and past trends in KPI including operational and financial metrics.
- Support the tracking and reporting of capital expenditure, including regular monitoring vs plan
- Recommend and execute Continuous Improvement ideas.
- Ad hoc analyses.
- Leading and participating in various projects throughout the year
- Understands and complies with Foss’ Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates regional/department goals and objectives.
- Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Adheres to all company policies.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience and interest in managing a team or managing an end-to-end process, which involves multiple stakeholders.
- Strong analytical/quantitative skills, critical thinker, and an innate curiosity to find actionable insights in a timely manner.
- Understanding of accounting concepts, financial statements and how they interact.
- Ability to work well with and be of service to others at all levels.
- Modern finance skills (Advanced Excel, SQL, SAP knowledge preferred, PowerApps preferred)
- Very strong attention to detail as work is fast-paced and supports significant financial decisions
- Self-starter, able to work in an unstructured environment, manage longer-term projects, and pro-actively identify solutions
- Demonstrated ability to translate business performance and financial results; understanding and ability to articulate how the business operates
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to communicate financial concepts and reports to non-financial managers.
- Experience with financing transactions or mergers & acquisition due diligence preferred.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in business management, finance, or accounting. MBA strongly preferred. Seven plus years of relevant experience, particularly in financial analysis, reporting, forecasting and planning. Willingness to periodically travel as required.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.