Accounts Receivable Specialist
Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: April 29, 2019
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
Assists the Controller and Accounting Manager in execution of the organization’s accounting functions. Performs complex transactional accounting functions related to the general ledger. Reports on variances, assists in analyzing and correcting discrepancies, and recommends process improvements. Reconcile G/L accounts.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Accounts for, records and reports transactions related to buy-back accounts
- Maintains and applies rebate offsets related to Vendor National accounts; submits rebate requests to vendors monthly
- Performs monthly customer invoicing process, including distribution of customer statements and filing customer invoices for NOSI and Inlet Energy’s packaged product
- Processes credit/re-bill invoices from sites when necessary
- Processes customer credit cards and auto pay batches; reconcile batch totals with support
- Processes daily cash receipts from customers including lockbox payments, other checks, ACHs, Wires
- Processes weekly Road System payments to gas stations
- Resolves customer inquiries with professionalism in a timely and accurate manner
- Reconciles daily reports related to accounts receivables, rebates and buy-backs
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to record transactions, prepare reports, review and verify accuracy.
- Performs essential duties for the timely close of sub-ledgers and general ledger in support of the month end close.
- Prepares and posts journal entries as needed.
- Prepares monthly reports and distributes as needed.
- Utilizes knowledge of internal controls to implement changes in accordance with GAAP
- Supports annual audit performed by independent external auditors and internal auditors
- Other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 3-5 years of relevant accounts receivable and /or accounting experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, or equivalent experience and education
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong Excel skills
- Strong time management skills.
- General understanding of US GAAP and Accounting Concepts
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to research and problem solve.
- Ability to develop working relationships with co-workers and others.
- Understanding of internal control structure