Accounts Payable Specialist
Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: April 29, 2019
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
Completes payments and controls expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Assemble, review and verify invoices and check requests
- Flag and clarify any unusual or questionable invoice items or prices
- Sort, code and match invoices
- Set invoices up for payment
- Enter and upload invoices into system
- Pay vendors by monitoring discount opportunities; verifying federal id numbers; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation
- Ensure credit is received for outstanding memos; issue stop-payments or purchase order amendments
- Track expenses and process expense reports
- Prepare and process electronic transfers and payments
- Prepare and perform check runs
- Post transactions to journals, ledgers and other records
- Reconcile accounts payable transactions
- Prepare analysis of accounts
- Monitor accounts to ensure payments are up to date
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues
- Maintain vendor files
- Correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries
- Produce monthly reports
- Assist with month end closing
- Provide supporting documentation for audits
- Maintain accurate historical records
- Maintain confidentiality of organizational information
- Other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 3-5 years of relevant accounts payable or general accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent education and experience
- Strong Excel skills
- Strong knowledge of relevant accounting software (such as Sage/MAS)
- Proficient in data entry and management
- General understanding of US GAAP and Accounting Concepts
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to research and problem solve
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to develop working relationships with co-workers and others
- Understanding of internal control structure