Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: September 20, 2019
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
Experienced Accounting Manager needed
Responsible for managing the accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial close, and other special projects (as needed). The Accounting Manager will supervise a team of accountants and utilizes Sage as the primary data source.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Supervise and coordinate the daily, weekly and monthly accounts payable, accounts receivable and certain general ledger processes. This includes processing journal entries, tracking account reconciliation completion and review for completeness and accuracy.
- Supervise accounts payable and accounts receivable staff to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Collaborate with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives. Including the development of metrics to track progress and efficiency of AP and AR functions.
- Manage the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close cycles.
- Provide staff with training (including implementation of new procedures), direction, guidance and feedback to ensure a motivated and productive staff.
- Design, recommend, and implement new procedures that will enhance the workflow of processes.
- Support audit functions performed by both internal and external auditors.
- Provide research, analysis, and reporting for overseen activities.
- Utilizes Sage to generate reports and create new reports as needed.
- Manage the month-end consolidation process for all NorthStar subsidiaries and report the consolidated figures to Saltchuk (NorthStar Energy’s Parent Company). This includes all elimination entries are properly booked.
- Perform technical research and able to document issues, findings, and conclusion in a memo.
- Enforce a strong system of internal controls; identify weaknesses and implement changes.
- Supports the cohesive delivery of accounting services under a shared services model; streamlines and simplifies accounting processes to ensure quality, consistency, and continuous process improvements.
- Work with non-accounting personnel to implement procedural improvements and policies.
- Assists in preparation of US GAAP financial statements and footnotes, as needed.
- Reviews state and local tax returns for completeness and accuracy.
- Coordinate system upgrades, enhancements, and conversions as needed
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance,
- Minimum of 6 years of accounting experience, with demonstrated career progression
- A minimum of two years’ experience managing staff accountants.
- CPA, preferred
- Public accounting experience preferred.