Company: NorthStar Energy
Employment Type: Full Time
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Accounting
Publish Date: July 10, 2019
Company Description: NorthStar Energy is a holding company with energy distribution businesses operating in Alaska and Hawaii. We are committed to being the vital link between best in class fuel solutions and our customers in remote communities, now and into the future. Right now, people are reassessing their relationship with fuel, as they become more efficient and conscious about energy. At NorthStar Energy it is our plan to take advantage of our integral position in niche markets to lead the way in energy innovation and decarbonization.
Responsible for managing the general accounting and financial close functions as well as assisting in other special projects as needed. Supervises team of accountants. Utilizes Sage as primary data source.
To apply for this job please visit www.appone.com.
· Supervises and coordinates the daily, weekly and monthly general ledger process including; processing journal entries, tracking account reconciliation completion, review account reconciliations for completeness and accuracy, and controlling the financial master data in the accounting system.
· Manages the monthly, quarterly and year end close cycles.
· Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
· Provides staff with training (including implementation of new procedures), direction, guidance and feedback to ensure a motivated and productive staff.
· Assists in development and implementation of new procedures to enhance the workflow of the general ledger team.
· Provides support for audits conducted by both internal and external sources.
· Provides research, analysis and reporting related to general ledger activity.
· Utilizes Sage to generate reports.
· Performs technical research and able to document issue, findings and conclusion in a memo.
· Assists in preparation of US GAAP financial statements and footnotes.
· Reviews state and local tax returns for completeness and accuracy.
· Coordinates system upgrades and enhancements.
· Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
· Adheres to all company policies.
· Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
· This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, or related field along with minimum of five years of experience.
· A minimum of 4 years of experience supervising exempt-level staff is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: SUPERVISORY AND LEADERSHIP OF DIRECT STAFF:
· Effectively communicates goals and objectives.
· Provides direction and leadership to achieve company core values, mission and safety vision.
· Provides coaching and mentorship to direct staff.
· Processes employee evaluations in a timely manner.
· Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Problem solving, mathematical and organizational skills.
· Basic accounting, computer systems and accounting systems (SAP).
· Writing and communications abilities.
· Knowledge of all aspects of general ledger accounting.
· Ability to manage subordinates in an effective manner.
· Technically proficient in US GAAP