Steward & Medical Person-in-Charge (MedPIC)
Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time+
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Seagoing
Publish Date: February 17, 2021
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
As Steward/MedPIC, you’ll join a full-time, year-round crew of six aboard the 120-foot classic 1930s private motor yacht Thea Foss based in Seattle, reporting directly to the captain. As the sole Steward, you’ll attend to overnight groups of up to 10 guests and day trip groups of up to 20 guests. You, the chef, and the deckhand work together as a service team. The vessel spends winters in the Seattle area and cruises the inland waters of the Pacific Northwest during the summers. Work during the fall and spring mainly consists of three-hour dinner or lunch cruises for up to 20 guests. Summer sailing is usually for two-to-five-day vacation cruises for up to 10 guests. The Steward has a private crew cabin aboard when the vessel is sailing. The yacht serves to entertain Saltchuk Resources’ shareholders, employees, and company guests.
- You’ll clean and organize all interior public areas of the yacht.
- You’ll order/purchase all general service and bar/beverage supplies.
- You’ll assist the captain in identifying and contracting for outside voyage service and entertainment.
- You’ll greet guests and complete the Guest Manifest for the captain upon departure.
- You’ll inspect/service all medical response equipment.
- You’ll update and stock medical supplies and drugs.
- You’ll assist the captain with the preparation of pre-voyage passenger health bulletins.
- You’ll participate as a leader in annual medical response crew training.
- You’ll coordinate onboard medical response plans with the ship’s medical support providers.
- You’ll maintain the cleanliness and presentation of all guest areas.
- You’ll serve drinks and meals throughout the trip.
- You’ll ensure guests understand safety rules and comply.
- You’ll accompany guests ashore as assigned by the captain.
- You’ll be alert to the health/wellbeing status of guests and crew.
- You’ll take charge of the crew’s response to medical emergencies.
- You’ll work with crew to secure vessel to post-voyage position as directed by Captain.
- Other duties as assigned by the Captain.
- Experience: a minimum of one-year prior yacht or passenger vessel experience as steward.
- Be a U.S. citizen and pass background checks.
- Have a mature friendly cooperative attitude.
- Be a self-directing worker, have good organizational abilities.
- Ideally have experience mixing and serving drinks (bar tending training can be provided).
- Have an interest in working with people. (The Steward is the principal host representative from the crew and coordinates closely with the Saltchuk host assigned to each cruise).
- A minimum of Advanced First Aid certification, ideally a USCG approved MedPIC credential (training can be provided).