Senior Manager, Tax
Company: Saltchuk Resources
Employment Type: Full Time+
Region: Pacific Northwest
Job Category: Finance
Publish Date: May 13, 2021
Company Description: Saltchuk is a privately owned family of transportation and distribution companies committed to being the best in North America. Headquartered in Seattle, we seek people who share our values and take pride in being professional. We value safety, reliability, dedication to our organization, and industry-leading environmental innovation. We look for pride, integrity, grit, and approachability. If you’re looking for a long-term career, this is a phenomenal place to build one. Visit www.saltchuk.com.
Who Are You?
You are a motivated tax professional with strong technical knowledge of corporate federal income tax, international tax, and tax accounting principles. You’re organized, analytical, and finish what you start. Ideally you hold a Master’s in Taxation as well as your CPA license. If you’re familiar with Tonnage Tax and Puerto Rico taxes– this job is for you! You are a collaborator by nature and enjoy coaching and developing your team to continuously improve skills, processes, and work products. As the Senior Manager of Tax, you will work with a diverse team across the Saltchuk family of companies to identify, analyze, and propose solutions for issues in a variety of scenarios and industries. If you like variety in your work, enjoy problem solving, and are interested in a hand-on opportunity with a great group of people – we would love to talk with you!
As the Senior Manager of Tax, you are responsible for the coordination and completion of Saltchuk’s international income tax compliance and reporting requirements. This includes federal and foreign tax returns, tax provision reporting, tax planning, tax research, and special projects including M&A. You’ll be based in our new offices in downtown Seattle, Washington, and will travel as needed to our subsidiary companies in Hawaii, Alaska, Florida, and Puerto Rico.
- Provides international tax leadership by identifying issues, developing tax planning strategies, and executing durable solutions related to US and international taxes.
- Monitors and interprets U.S., state, and foreign tax laws and proposed legislation to evaluate their impact on Saltchuk and its affiliates.
- Performs research on complex tax issues and writes technical memoranda documenting conclusions.
- Collaborates with Saltchuk companies’ finance teams to analyze tax implications of potential new investments and/or acquisitions.
- Identifies and implements process improvements and procedures for the tax function.
- Works with the Managing Director of Tax to manage federal, state and international income tax audits.
- Identifies significant tax challenges and/or opportunities related to the company’s operations, including research and development of solutions/strategies.
- Communicates status of assigned work to the Managing Director of Tax. Initiates timely action on technical, scheduling and other problems and brings recommended solutions to the Managing Director’s attention.
- Performs other duties as needed in support of the Tax department and Saltchuk’s strategies.
- Travels to visit subsidiary companies, and attends meetings & conferences as needed.
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required
- Master’s in Taxation or LLM preferred but not required
- CPA certification preferred
Experience and Skills
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 8 years directly related tax experience, preferably with a combination of public and private experience.
- Strong technical knowledge of corporate federal income tax, international tax, and tax accounting principles. Knowledge of Puerto Rico Tax and Tonnage Tax a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Skills in analytical thinking, problem solving, planning/organizing, decision-making, and follow-through.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and produce an accurate and organized work product.
- Ability to utilize existing procedures and suggest process improvements.
- Experience managing, coaching, and developing staff, providing opportunities for them to grow and develop professionally as well as technically.
- Ability to work independently on multiple assignments and under deadline pressure, ability to set priorities and schedule work, willingness to accept new responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work closely and collaborate with others in a manner that recognizes the importance of teamwork in achieving company goals.
- Computer operation skills: advanced Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word skills, knowledge of Windows environment, and experience with tax return software.